Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I have a dream...

**Note:  This post is long.  Really, really long.  Read at your own risk.  (This is what you get when you ask me to post more often.  I can get a little carried away and no one has ever accused me of being succinct.)


"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; 'and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.'"

This is, arguably, the most famous speech given by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on August 28, 1963.  It is one of my favorite orations of all time.  No matter how many times I hear it or read it, whether partially or in its entirety , it raises goose bumps on my flesh and brings tears to my eyes.  

I love his eloquence.  "With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope."

His simple phrases that inspire humanity to reach to a greater height than they may think possible. "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."  (this is my absolute FAVORITE line of the whole address)

His compassion that encourages others to kindness when they have so much reason for hatred.  "Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred."

It is with all these things in mind, with the greatest regard and the upmost respect for the man and his vision that I post the following....

I too have a dream.  Mine is not grandiose.  Mine will not alter the fabric of society nor change the destiny of a nation.  Mine is not filled with the passion of years of injustice, the burning of righteousness or the nobility of truth.  

No, mine will do none of these things.

It is simple. But, to me, it is profound.  I have a dream that one day I may be able to use the bathroom all by myself.

I have a dream that one day I will be able to use the bathroom without a small voice calling to me, "Mommy, did your pee-pees wake up?"

I have a dream that one day I will be able to use the bathroom without someone barging in and announcing passionately, "Mommy, it stinks in here!  I'm getting out of here!"

I have a dream that one day I will be able to use the bathroom without watching the door handle turn and a head pop-in to ask, "Mommy, can you get me some more milk?"  I can't right now.  Obviously.

As I said, it is not profound but it is my little dream.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am laughing because I can SO relate! But for me, it's when I'm in the shower that my kids come in and ask me to do stuff for them or get things for them. I guess their little minds just don't understand that multi-tasking is limited.

kristin said...

Hey, everyone's gotta have a dream! And I love it!

teresa and the boys said...

Bwahahahahahahahaha! I feel your pain, Heather. I really, really do.

I'd also like to have a meal in which no liquid is dumped all over the table and during which I don't have to say, "Please don't throw peas at the window."