Friday, April 4, 2008

books

Ok, I have a favor to ask the blogging community, or at least those that read my blog.  I have just finished reading the twilight books for the second time and am tempted to begin again mostly because I have run out of ideas.

So in this vein I am asking for your help.  If you are reading this could you give me your 10 favorite books or authors (which is how I usually decide)?  In return here are some of mine.  These are just fun books, of course if we are talking about life altering books the scriptures would be top of the list.  (In no particular order.)  

1. Twilight books
2. The Alchemist (small, simple read that for me was very profound)
3.  Spencer books by Robert Parker (these are PI books that are also simple reads but they are great get away books)
4. Harry Potter
5. The Prey books by John Sandford (these are very disturbing books - definitely rated R.  they are all about serial killers and the cop who tracks them.  I love them but they are offensive to some)
6. Wheel of time by Robert Jordan (if you like fantasy)
7. In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (this is actually a travel book - I never read travel books - and was one of the funniest books I have ever read)
8.Much Ado about Nothing by Shakespeare (because I can relate)
9. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (I thought the language was beautiful however parts of the story are hard to read)
10. Timeline by Michael Crichton (this was a great concept - the movie was terrible)

Anyway, this is my list.  It was actually kind of hard to put together because I can't remember all the books I have ever read.  I may do this again sometime.

3 comments:

kristin said...

Okay, here are a few to try...
1. "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs (about climbing the 14 highest peaks in the world. Talk about achieving goals)
2. "Three weeks with my Brother" by Nicholas Sparks. (a cool travelogue but also about family relationships. loved it!)
3. All the Patricia Cornwell books. She is a forensic medical examiner. A little gory at times, but I find them intriguing. I recommend starting at the beginning of the series.
4. "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. A women's perspective on Jacob/12 tribes of Israel. Not LDS author but I really enjoyed it.

The two I have, but haven't started yet are "The Thirteenth Tale" and "The Zookeeper's Wife"

Hope that helps!

Melissa said...

All I read are parenting books these days. If you want to be a happy mommy, read "Parenting With Love and Logic."

teresa and the boys said...

Okay -- I'm so not ignoring you on this. I've been contemplating. Yeah, that's it. I'm also consulting with Aaron, 'cause I'm not sure I can come up with ten. So here you go:

1) The Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Snicket. Honestly, I hated the way they ended, but was entertained up until that point. They're mindless and fun, and your vocabulary will get better.

2) Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells. It's set in Louisiana, and seriously, the heat and humidity pretty much seep out from the pages.

3) A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. One of the only books to make me laugh out loud.

4) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I read this before the R-rated movie purge, so I may be forgetting some *ahem* content, but again, laughed and laughed...

5) Anything by Marian Keyes. She's from Dublin and writes quintessential Brit-Chic-Lit.

6) Jennifer Weiner -- Marian Keyes American equal. Little Earthquakes was probably my favorite.

7) Nick Hornby is fun. (He wrote High Fidelity and About a Boy)

8) A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I know, Oprah thinks he's deplorable for "exaggerating" but it's still an incredible story.

9) The Princess Bride by Willaim Goldman. I just re-read this, and it's still great, even after living with Aaron (who quotes the movie ad nauseum) for 8 years.

10) Anything by Jane Austin. I'm re-discovering her lately and I've kind of missed her. Her novels are all swoony and dreamy. It's kind of nice.

(Aaron says you already know most of his stuff, so there's his $.02.)