Thursday, April 10, 2008

Easter

So, I have a little problem.  
"Little?" you think. 
Sarcasm is not helpful here.

My problem is that I declared on my blog (i.e. to the world as a whole) that I would be posting more often.  What that small declaration has lead me to is a realization that my life is not fraught with excitement.   For instance, today I took the girls to get their haircut.  That is really not worthy of blogging.  (Can you believe there was a time when our days were NOT measured by their blogging potential?  Me either.)  Maybe if it was their FIRST haircut... but it wasn't.  We have done this many times before.  Maybe if I had tinted their hair various colors.  But... I didn't.  Ellie got an orange barrette in her hair - a butterfly.  Not that interesting.  I didn't even take a picture.  Maybe if there had been singing or dancing by the beauticians, or my children for that matter, but again, there wasn't. By either.  

After the girls got their haircut I took them to McDonald's for a treat.  Still not worth mentioning really. (although I still will - mention it I mean)  We got our food.  We ate our food.  Ellie sat in the booth behind us and cried.  (I chose to sit between her and Liv instead of sitting on the other side of Ellie so I wouldn't be by Liv at all. Dad sat by himself on the other side of the table with its incredibly long bench trying not too feel too unwanted.)  Liv sat next to me and moaned that we were eating too slow and she couldn't "sit here this lo-o-o-o-o-ong".  (I didn't realize sitting required so much energy.)  Ashton ate his nuggets and grunted periodically when they got stuck in his ketchup cup.

But then!!!  I had a sudden moment of inspiration and I thought about the following. 

This is our Easter story (hence the title).

The Grayson children scored big this Easter.  Not "big" as in lots of presents but "big" as in awesome, rock your world presents.  Yes, the Easter Bunny knows my children well.  They all got candy, of course.  (Note: Ashton likes na-nee, very much.)  They also all got kites and - wait for it - nail polish.  Ok, Ashton did not get nail polish.  He got a puzzle but he is only 1 and doesn't really care that much anyway.  The girls however, were in heaven.  AND!  As if the nail polish were not enough, they also got little flower stickers to put on their nails once the paint was dry.  Red for Ellie and Pink for Liv.  It was such a good gift getting session that the girls disappeared with nary a complaint.  I finally had to call them for dinner.

Side note here:  How often have your children disappeared for an hour without a peep?  Me either.

Back to my story.  I called them to dinner.  Ashton and Liv came right away.  Ellie eventually showed up and informed me  that she was going to be a little late for dinner because she had to finish her toes.  I paused and thought a moment.  Finish? That can't be good.  I looked down and sure enough all 10 finger nails (to the first knuckle on some) and 5 toes were painted.  I panicked.  

"Where did you paint them Ellie?"  I asked with a note of hysteria in my voice.  Ellie picked up on my panic at once and stopped talking to me.  "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" was, I'm sure, what she was thinking.

"Please, Ellie.  You're not in trouble.  Just, please tell mommy where you did your nails?" I pleaded.

"Your closet" was the whispered answer.

I flew across the house to my carpeted closet and found.... nothing.  There was the polish - open - and the stickers, but nothing had spilled.  I am not sure how my 4 year old managed to get the bottle open and paint 15 of her 20 appendages without spilling a drop.  The carpet gods were smiling.

Here is a picture of Ellie's first attempt at self beautification.  She didn't do too bad.




3 comments:

teresa and the boys said...

But Heather, this is the beauty of blogging. If you write well (which you do), the content matters so little. It's all in the delivery.

Also, I totally made a post about getting my kids' hair cut. Shut up.

Melissa said...

I agree with the first comment here. You could make reading the phone book sound interesting. Keep it up!

kristin said...

Such beautiful nails!! The Easter Bunny chose well, and the carpet gods were definitely on your side :)